Monday, September 18, 2006

Weekend Fashion Finds and Observations

I usually can't keep myself out of the stores over the weekend, and this one was no different. Although I was very modest in my few purchases.

Old Navy has been good to me over the last few months, so I headed over there. I think their sizes for their tops are running a little larger these days. A year ago, I was shopping almost solely in their women's plus section. In most bottoms like slacks and denim, I am still in their women's plus. But in their tops, I'm an XL rather than XXL in many cases. Granted, I've lost about 25 lbs since last year, but I'm noticing more room in their tops, which is a good thing b/c it gives us plus ladies that are sort of in between a few more options. Anyway, I ended up getting this cute striped sweater. Stripes are everywhere this season! I especially like the little flare on the sleeves. I'll be in San Francisco at the end of the week and will be hitting the women's plus section there and just a bigger store, so really, I'm just saving myself.

After a trip to Ulta, I decided to wander into Ann Taylor Loft to look at jewelry, but I ended up browsing the racks. The two most popular colors I saw everywhere I went this weekend? Black and peacock teal. Which is great news, b/c those are two of my favorite colors. I decided to try a few tops on at Ann Taylor, and guess what? Their XLs fit. I'm a size 18/20 usually, but in tops can go down to 14/16 depending on the style. The items I got were on sale, so I have no pictures but they were a peacock teal, lace trimmed cami and a deep v neck knit shirt that hits well below the waist. Can't wait to wear it.

As I do every weekend, I hit Target to pick up household stuff, but I of course look at the clothes. I did very well by Target over the spring/summer season. I scoured the racks for about 40 minutes and found next to nothing. And I got increasingly frustrated as I went. Why? The women's section was the most pathetic thing I have seen in months. Even Liz Lange (maternity) had more options, and much cuter ones than women's. They were still displaying a lot of the same sorry leftover fashions from the summer...which no one bought. The sale racks were shoved in between the 'new' racks for women, and then sandwiched in between maternity and workout clothes. I did see some cute cropped pants and went to try them on. A 20 didn't fit! Which is pretty much unheard of for me these days, when shopping in women's sizes. I have plenty of 20s from Merona and Mossimo, but today? Nope. However, I do recommend you try these on b/c they will look great with tall boots. My lone purchase, this cowl neck tank in a beautiful deep green from Mossimo (misses, not women). This picture doesn't show the green that I bought, I can't find that on the site, or the color is not represented well on the site. Also, there is a plus size option. Cowl necks are also everywhere this season. I saw at least two different cowl neck items at each store this weekend. I played with options for the cowl neck and it looks great with pants, long skirts, a trumpet skirt, trouser shorts. But since the weather is turning cooler, it needs a cover up. I got this cape cardigan one from Target. This link only shows it in grey, but they did have black at the store.


I also got a very pretty kimono sleeved jersey shirt at NY & Company (Lerner). The material is very thin, so I have to wear a tank under it, but I looooove it. I wore it yesterday with jeans, flats, and a tank underneath and I think I've found a new fool proof casual outfit for this in between season.

Torrid - nothing. Lane Bryant - nothing. Very sad state of affairs. I have a lot more to say about the state of fashion vs. plus size, but I'll save that for another day. Happy Monday everyone!

2 Comments:

Blogger Alison Santighian said...

Kudos on the cowl neck purchase. They're so elegant & graceful, and very now, of course.

I still have to take you up on your recommendation for the suit shorts, and these cropped pants may be a cost-effective purchase to help with the work-wear.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Carrie M said...

why thank you. And they're everywhere, so they're easy to pick up.

You'll be pleasantly surprised. The only thing they don't look good with (on me) is flats. But they look great with a tshirt, a sweater, kimono sleeved shirt, cardi, heels, boots, wedges. can't lose! and I expect a full report when you try them!

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home