Thursday, September 21, 2006

Leaving on a Jet Plane

I'm headed out to San Francisco for work and a little bit of play for 10 days starting Friday. I'm hoping to have time to post some finds, but I might not.

So I'm going to take a moment to rant a little bit about the state of plus size and fashion.

As we all know, NY's Fashion Week came to a close recently. I didn't keep up with it as well as I should, and historically I haven't because quite frankly, I can't wear that stuff. Not only because most of it costs as much as a down payment on a condo in Montgomery County and that it's mostly ridiculous, but because the fashion houses don't deign to include anything over a size 6 in their arsenal. Stanley Tucci said it best in The Devil Wears Prada, "Size 6 is the new 14".

The Budget Fashionista, a well respected blogger and author, had a run-in with the folks from Lycra. I also heard rumblings that the Trashionista wasn't treated very well in some instances because of what she was wearing.

While Lycra made it up to the Budget Fashionista, and being treated like dirt at Fashion Week isn't exactly news, I just think it's a sad state of affairs.

None of this is exactly news, but the reason why I'm trying to stake my little spot in the blogosphere is because I may not be a size 6, but it doesn't mean that I can't look great. It also doesn't mean I should be treated differently. That goes for any woman, no matter what.

Not a sermon. Just a thought. Or a few. Whatever.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alison Santighian said...

Where are you? I miss reading your posts!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Carrie M said...

I have been uninspired in the plus fashion arena lately, so I've been neglecting. But I'm coming back! :-)

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home