Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Handbag Dilemma

I started this post yesterday and saved it...and now it's gone. Is this because I haven't switched to the new blogger? Grrrrr....

Anyway. I turn 30 next week and I've decided that I want to purchase a designer bag. I'm not talking about a $1200 one, like the Marc Jacobs bag du jour, but something along the lines of $300 like Michael Kors. My bags usually cost about $70 or less, for the exception of my one designer purchase a few years ago (Anya Hindmarch). I love them, don't get me wrong, but that's not something I choose to spend my money on. If I was spending upwards of a grand, I'd probably choose Chloe or Kooba. A girl can dream.

You don't see a huge number of designer bags in this town in the way of Marc or Chanel. We see more Coach than Chanel, more Dooney & Burke than Dior, and of course a lion's share of LV (which I happen to loathe). A bit of Gucci thrown in for good measure. My fellow DC fashion bloggers know there are some circles who are all about the label all the time. And us bag whores, we know that the Queen of ALL of bags is the Birkin by Hermes. I don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh, so to speak.

I was browsing eBay in search of a possible I'm-30-and-Fabulous bag, and came across a seller with not one Birkin but 41. FORTY-ONE. I believe they retail at $4,000 to start, and there's usually a years long waiting list. This seller's store has these various Birkins listed from $8K up to $25K. And there's a bid on a $20K bag! I don't understand this. It frightens me a bit, actually. These people have spent what equals someone's (decent) salary on Birkins...and will be making a small fortune if they all sell.

So far, I've got my sights set on this one from Mr. Kors. Weirdly, I keep coming back to the Marc stam bag...I would never, ever pay that much for a bag. Especially not when everyone from La Lohan and Kirstie Alley are carrying it. But there's something about it...I could always test drive the knockoff from AKO Style.

Then there's this much imitated motorcyle bag that I have loved ever since I saw it for the first time. The eBay person selling it says it's a Des Louis...which I've never heard of. They also throw the term 'le dix' around, which I know is usually attached to Balenciaga, which this absolutely is not. I'm not really sure what to make of it. It looks a lot nicer than most knockoffs I've seen, which usually strike me as too stiff. This looks soft and worn - but in a good way. And I love the color. Does anyone know anything about this brand?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, definitely a favorite subject!

Check out The Purse Store's sale section--they have some pretty huge markdowns on some great bags.

My beloved Kooba is marked down to $381. And while that might be a bit above your benchmark, let me tell you that I've used that bag EVERY DAY for about 8 months. It truly is the perfect bag!!!

I'd stay away from Ebay when it comes to these things, as there are a lot of fakes out there.

Happy New Year (and happy almost birthday) Carrie!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Carrie M said...

oooh....i. LOVE. that. bag. in black. thank you so much for the tip - i would spend a bit more for a kooba...

thanks, sweetie! happy new year to you as well! i hope we get to meet in 2007!

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home