Monday, December 18, 2006

Macy's Plus Size Selection

I've imposed a shopping moratorium for myself since it's the holidays, and I need to be getting gifts for other people. However. I spent a couple of quality hours in Macy's on Saturday night and rediscovered their excellent plus size department. It was a sizeable chunk of the floor, I must say. And yes, some of the stuff in there isn't fit for women with fashion sense, but some of it is fabulous.

Like did you know that Nine West has a plus line? That you can get Jeanstar jeans for $21?

I scored this leather jacket in black - originally $229, marked down to $170 with 30% off, then 20% on that discount if you open a Macy's charge. Which I did. The final price came out to be about $110. It's very comfortable and it looks great. Of course, tomorrow the weather goes back to being seasonable and I'll have to go to my winter coat, but I'm still really pleased with this find.

The Budget Fashionista had a very interesting post on the state of plus fashion and why we're seeing less of it, it's well worth the read. As we all know, there is a demand for plus clothing that is every bit as fashionable as the 'straight' size fashions. But if we're not out there buying it, then it will absolutely disappear. So I contributed to the buying this weekend! On the other hand, and as Kathryn points out, the stores spend no money marketing these lines and these departments. It never ceases to amaze me how many great plus clothing sites are out there when I go digging around - so why aren't we seeing these things in the stores? Why does Macy's or Bloomingdales carry Kiyonna? Or Saks carry Elena Miro (I'm dying to get my hands on her stuff, it's amazing)

I don't know the answer. Although I will say that I am absolutely guilty of not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars on an outfit...but if I were a size 10, I wouldn't want to either. On that note, the fashion magazines really bother me in that respect - because we can all afford a Chanel dress? Come on! Even though we are the buying power for fashion, it seems to slip further and further away from us and what we want.

My apologies for the hiatus - it's that time of year!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That jacket is FAB!

Happy Holidays Carrie!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Carrie M said...

thanks, hon! And same to you - I want to meet you next year!

11:33 PM  
Blogger Alison Santighian said...

I strongly suggest - and hereby semi-self-nominate myself to organize a "DC Fashionista Blog Meet." Now...the question is...where...

9:15 AM  
Blogger Carrie M said...

I like the sound of that. We'd meet at some sort of place where we could shop! ;-)

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home